Emergency Food and Shelter Program, DeKalb & Fulton Counties
This is the web home of the the Emergency Food and Shelter (EFSP) Program's Local Board representing the city of Atlanta, Fulton and DeKalb Counties. Here you'll be able to find information regarding:
- The activities of the Atlanta/Fulton/DeKalb Board
- How agencies can apply for funding
- Resources and news updates for EFSP grantees
What is EFSP?
- The Federal Emergency Food and Shelter Program (EFSP) was created to supplement and expand the work of local social service agencies, both governmental and non-profit, in an effort to help people with economic (not disaster-related) emergencies.
- EFSP funds must be used to supplement feeding, sheltering, rent/mortgage and utility assistance efforts only.
- EFSP is governed by a National Board that selects jurisdictions for funding.
- Each jurisdiction must maintain a Local Board charged with determing the highest needs and best use of funds for that jurisdiction.
Who is eligible to receive EFSP funds from the Atlanta/Fulton/DeKalb EFSP Board?
- An agency holding 501c3 tax exempt status that provides one or more of the following services:
- Mass Shelter (e.g. emergency shelter, transitional housing)
- Served Meals (e.g. soup kitchens, home delivered meals)
- Other Food (e.g.food pantries, grocery vouchers)
- Temporary Shelter (e.g. hotel/motel vouchers)
- Rent/Mortgage Assistance
- Utilities Assistance (Gas, Electric, Water)
- Any agency that has been in existence and providing services for three or more years as of the application due date.
EFSP National Board
The National Board, chaired by FEMA, with representatives from American Red Cross; Catholic Charities USA; National Council of the Churches of Christ in the U.S.A.; The Salvation Army; United Jewish Communities; and, United Way of America, governs the EFSP. United Way of America serves as Secretariat and fiscal agent to the National Board.
United Way Worldwide serves as the fiscal agent for the EFSP and its staff is housed in United Way Worldwide headquarters. For more information about the EFSP National Board please visit www.efsp.unitedway.org.